Our history


Building works

The scheduled work commenced on Monday 21st March 2016. The work completed the Court Hall was handed back to The Friends for an informal opening on Saturday 7th April 2016. The Court Hall was formally opened on Saturday 14th April 2016.


New funding for renovation

The next task was to raise the necessary funding, estimated to be in the order of £20,000 to £30,000 to bring the building back to its original condition. A fund raising drive was initiated through grant funding and donations. In July 2015 an application was made to SITA Trust under..Read More


Formation of The Friends of Milton Regis Court Hall charity and 4th opening as a museum

After many hours of meetings between the Friends Group and Swale Borough Council and following the establishment of the Friends as a registered charity (March) a 25 year lease was signed (April). The Court Hall opened again as a museum for 5 days.


A new book

John Clancy wrote a book called “A Short History of the Court Hall and its role within the town of Milton Regis”. The book was donated by John. The cost of production was generously donated by the Nicholls family.


Formation Of The Friends

In 2011 a small group of people came together to form a Friends group and asked the Court Hall’s owner, Swale Borough Council, if they could take on the responsibility for maintaining the building and reopen it as a museum. An architectural survey showed that a sizeable financial commitment was..Read More


3rd opening as a museum

Following extensive neogations with Swale Brough Council, HRGS operated another Court Hall museum. Sometime later due to financial implications the museum was abandoned.


Sittingbourne Archaeological Group

One of the 1987 groups, Sittingbourne Archaeological Group, was wound up and its assets transferred to the Historical Research Group of Sittingbourne (HRGS)


Milton High Street refurbishment

The refurbishment of Milton High Street including the area around the Court Hall and establishment of a conservation area.


Milton Regis Society

The revival of the Milton Regis Society led to the formation of a Joint managment Committee by three interested groups.


Sittingbourne Society

In the 1980’s Sittingbourne society assisted with operating the museum.


2nd opening as a museum

Following loss of interest and being closed for some years, the Court Hall reopened as a museum under the care of Swale Archaeolgical Research Group


1st opening as a museum

On the 20th May 1959, the Court Hall was opened as a museum by Councillor S F J Forster, chairman of the Council



Extensive restoration (1957/8) of the Court Hall following demolition of cottages.


Demolition of cottages

Demolition of cottages attached to the Court Hall over many years. During these works Anglo-Saxon remains found.


4th and final change of ownership

The Court Hall donated by Thomas Buggs to the then Sittingbourne and Milton Urban District Council


3rd change of ownership

The Court Hall sold to Thomas Buggs, a local Milton Councillor and leading businessman


2nd change of ownership

Death of Sydney Nicholls, the Court Hall passes to his son Arthur Nicholls


Enemy action

The Court Hall substantial damaged due to enemy action


1st change of ownership into private hands

With the demise of the old manorial system and the introduction of a more efficient system of local government at the beginning of the twentieth century, the Court Hall fell into private hands. Purchased by Sydney Nicholls, the last Portreeve of Milton for £75



The suffix “Regis” granted to Milton


Early mention

The Court Hall mentioned by Canon Scott Robertson as being in official documents dated 1473


Milton Regis Court Hall is built

The Court Hall, said to have been built in about 1450.